Educator Discount: Register as an educator, library, or other qualifying organization to receive access to exclusive educator pricing, including free shipping on orders over $100.
In classrooms, you can use Brain Builders as a day starter or quick challenge. Use one challenge at a time, individually or in small groups, or pass out the whole deck. Cards vary in difficulty so builders can stretch themselves to complete more challenging puzzles.
Approach KEVA from a whole new angle! Full-color cards include a 2-D building challenge on one side and the solution on the other. Manipulate your KEVA planks to successfully duplicate the balance, proportion, composition and geometry featured on each card. Includes 20 KEVA planks, 30 double-sided cards and instructions in a zippered carrying case.
Recommended Ages: Ages 7 and up
From teachers who use KEVA Planks:
“I have even used them with my class of students who have been expelled from other schools for behavior issues. They need opportunities to work together, take turns, negotiate, communicate effectively, and help one another. I use Keva Plank projects as a way to foster these behaviors in all students, even those who usually have difficulty working well with others.”
“I have used the planks with students from kindergarten to sixth grade and they universally love your product”
“Three different levels of highly autistic classes all love them”
“One thing I love about the KEVA planks is that it can be done as a day starter, the day ender, or the 5 minutes before lunch.”
“It takes little to no time to pass out materials and solve a problem, but it does take lots of creativity and imagination.”
5" x 5" x 3”
20 Pine KEVA planks (Note: Pine planks are the same dimensions as and fully compatible with maple planks. We prefer to keep them separate and use them as accent pieces since they have a slightly different texture and appearance from maple planks.)
30 double-sided cards
Zippered carrying case
Brain Builders vs. Brain Builders Deluxe vs. Brain Builders Junior
Brain Builders is the original KEVA plank 3D challenge. This is the first set of cards and we recommend you start here if you are above the age of 8. Even adults have to put thought into these, so there’s no upper limit on these puzzles.
Brain Builders Deluxe makes a great add-on set after your classroom has mastered the originals. There are more challenges and the projects get bigger. Some of these take longer or require more complex concentration to solve.
Brain Builders Junior are designed specifically for a younger crowd. These help teach kids how to move an idea from a flat picture to a 3D sculpture by showing an image of a structure. These cards don’t have 3 views of the same item, they show what is included as the “solution” on the brain builder sets for older humans.
Educator vs. Designer Products vs. Mindware Products
Educator sets are designed for use in classrooms, libraries, museums, and other spaces where they'll be used by many people, especially people who are new to building with planks. These spaces need storage and supporting materials that are more durable than products made for use in a home. With these sets, we send laminated cards that can be passed around by a larger group, and include ideas for educators on how to make the most of KEVA in your classroom or makerspace.
Our designer collection is available exclusively on kevaplanks.com and includes small-run and unique KEVA products.
The Mindware collection is available on our website or through Mindware.com, an official distributor. These products are perfect gifts and work well in households with kids of any age.
Maple vs. Pine
Educator sets exclusively come with maple planks. Maple is a hardwood that resists finger oils and can stand up to heavy use in classrooms, libraries, and museums. Pine is a softer wood. Both types use the exact same dimensions, carefully calibrated. It’s totally doable to mix both kinds when building, but you may want to keep them separate for more intricate sculptures. Pine planks wear at a different rate than maple, so after a lot of use the differences become more obvious.
One option when buying Brain Builders to use alongside your Maple Educator Packs in the classroom is to keep these pine planks separate from your main set to use as accent pieces. They have a slightly different tint that can add intrigue to students’ special projects. Generally we recommend having only one type of plank in use because it limits competition over “unique” blocks and means there’s no sorting. We want you and your students to spend more time playing and learning, less time prepping and cleaning!
- ASTRA's Best Toy For Kids Award in Learning Play ASTRA's Best Toys for Kids award program reflects the collective expertise of hundreds of toy retailers who know toys inside out. The 18 winning products were voted on by ASTRA member retailers as the best in toys that represent the fun, top-quality, high-play-value products found in locally-owned neighborhood toy stores across the country.
- Academics' Choice Brain Toy Award Academics' Choice Awards ® help parents and educators validate claims such as "critical thinking" and "educational toy" with a qualified, scientific and objective approach to evaluation. A panel of highly qualified academics, parents, teachers, homeschoolers and children evaluate products based on educational benefits such as higher-order thinking skills, character building, creative play, durability and originality. Only the genuine "mind-builders" are recognized with the coveted Academics' Choice Award.
- Dr. Toy Best Picks 2014 For nearly twenty-five years, Dr. Toy has been awarding children's products her seals of approval. These items have distinguished themselves over other products in quality and excellence, providing both lasting value and lasting Dr. Toy Best Picks 2014 learning. And, of course, providing lasting fun.
- Global Educator Institute Seal of Endorsement During a six-week in-class trial, teachers consider a range of qualities that separate good products from great ones. Fewer than half the products evaluated receive the GEI Seal of Endorsement. These products improve learning and the learning environment along with their achievement of effectiveness, value, ease of use, and durability.
- Major Fun Award The Major FUN Award goes to games that make people laugh, are original, flexible and easy to adapt, are well-made, durable and easily stored, and are easy to understand and teach. Award winners are selected during monthly gatherings attended by a collection of game-players and the winning games are reviewed by Major FUN himself.
- Parents' Choice Silver Award Founded in 1978, Parents' Choice is the nation's oldest nonprofit consumer guide to quality children's books, toys, music and more. The Parents' Choice Award seals are recognized throughout the country as the premier mark of achievement in the children's media industry. The Parents' Choice Silver Honors are given to excellent products that are designed to entertain and help children develop universally ethical attitudes, and rigorous standards and skills.