Counting with KEVA
Objective: Students will count forward from 1 through 30 and backward from 10.
- 30 planks per student or small group
- Small containers for each student (shoe boxes or paper bags)
- Have each student come to the KEVA box and count out 30 planks into a container. Several students can do this at a time as the entire class counts aloud with them,or small groups could come to the box and count quietly together. Dividing your planks into several large piles will speed up this process.
- Allow the children to each build a structure with their planks. You could have an open theme for building or require a certain type of structure (for example: towers, houses, animals or vehicles).
- Allow time to observe each structure.
- Tell the class that it is time to collapse their structures, and that we will do this all together. Remind them that this needs to be done gently.
- As a group, count down to destruction time. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!
- Have everyone count aloud as they return their pieces to their boxes. If time permits, repeat with another building project.
©2019 KEVA Planks. All Rights Reserved.